Is RV Antifreeze Toxic to Animals?

Yikes! You accidentally spilled RV antifreeze, didn’t realize it and your pet may have gotten into a pool of potentially toxic antifreeze. Not until your dog licked a puddle of RV antifreeze did you ever think, is RV antifreeze toxic to animals?

We are here to explore a few questions: Will RV antifreeze hurt pets? Is RV Antifreeze Poisonous to Cats? What Happens If a Dog Drinks RV Antifreeze? and more.

RVing with pets can be a hassle but it can also be a blessing, so kuddos to you for making sure they are safe on your journey.

Is RV Antifreeze Toxic to Animals?

RV antifreeze is propylene glycol based which is far less toxic to animals. Still, studies have shown that small amounts of RV antifreeze can be toxic to cats and large amounts can be harmful to dogs.

RV antifreeze that is based on Ethanol (alcohol) or Ethanol and Propylene blend are toxic to animals.

Make sure you purchase RV antifreeze and not the green junk that goes in your car’s radiator. For the most part,m RV antifreeze is pink, the green stuff is highly toxic to animals and humans.

If you put that gunk in your RV’s water lines, even if you rinse it, it’ll cause kidney failure. You’d get very sick.

Related: Is RV Antifreeze Safe to Dump on the Ground?

Is RV Antifreeze Toxic to Animals
Note: As a rule of thumb, you can remember, the smaller the pet, the higher the chances of poisoning from an antifreeze.

What Happens If a Dog Drinks RV Antifreeze?

After a dog drinks RV antifreeze the symptoms will include: Drunken behavior, panting, disorientation, tremors, or appearing poorly.

You’d be surprised to find out that dog food often contains 5% to 10% of Propylene Glycol. It tends to not be toxic for them because it’s in a diluted form mixed with other food matter.

As we mentioned below, you should reach a vet if you aren’t sure how much your pup has digested.

What Do You Do If Your Dog Drinks RV Antifreeze?

If your dog drinks RV antifreeze rush them to a veterinary if the dog consumed a large amount of the substance. If you have access to a vet, and your pup consumed a significant amount of RV antifreeze, it is better to be safe than sorry.

With all of that said, propylene glycol-based RV antifreeze is still the safest product on the market for winterizing your RV using antifreeze. You simply need to use caution (and keep your pets away) when using it and when disposing of it.

So, how long does it take for antifreeze to affect dogs? 36 to 72 hours after consuming large amounts of RV antifreeze, severe kidney failure is developing secondary to calcium crystals forming in the kidneys. Severe lethargy, coma, depression, vomiting, seizures, drooling, and inappetence may be seen.

Is RV Antifreeze Poisonous to Cats?

RV antifreeze is less toxic than others containing ethylene glycol, these products still pose a risk to pets if ingested.

Are Cats Attracted To Antifreeze?

Yes, cats are attracted to antifreeze. The danger for all pets is that propylene glycol-based RV antifreeze has a sweet smell so it’s alluring to animals.

What’s worse is it has a sweet taste as well, so they will likely pounce at the opportunity to gobble it up.

Small amounts can be damaging to cats because the kitty’s kidneys may fail and/or ruin their blood cells.

FYI: Is Propylene Glycol Safe for Animals? Research shows that propylene glycol can only harm animals if ingested or inhaled in large quantities.

Thats All Folks

As you know, many RVers who store their RVs for the winter or use them in cold climates use RV antifreeze to protect the plumbing systems of their rigs.

Some neglect to ask the question “Is RV Antifreeze Toxic to Animals?” but not you! We hope you provide ample information to keep your cats, dogs, lizards, gerbils, and other pets safe from toxic chemicals.

Be Safe Out There!

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
On Key

Related Posts